Safety and Transportation

A safe student is a successful student, and University Housing is committed to ensuring your security. Living on campus with about 4,000 people means communication is the key to staying safe.

  • Sign up for the UO Alert text messaging system to stay informed.
  • If you lose your keys, tell your housing service center.
  • Only let someone into the building or apartment if they are your personal guest. 
  • Never prop open outside doors and keep your unit door locked.
  • Register your bike and your computer with the University of Oregon Police Department (UOPD).
  • Report suspicious people and incidents to professional staff.
  • If you ever feel uncomfortable or unsafe, call UOPD. For non-emergencies: 541-346-2919. For emergencies: 9-1-1.

Tips and Services

When walking around campus at night, it is always a good idea to go with a friend or two. The interactive UO map has marked paths that are well-lit and near the UOPD emergency call boxes.

The Associated Students of the University of Oregon (ASUO) also provides a service called Safe Ride. UO students can make appointments to receive a ride home in one of Safe Ride’s vans. This service typically runs until midnight during the week and until 2:00 a.m. on weekends.

Safety in your Home

Each unit includes features to help ensure your safety:

  • One-way peep holes
  • Smoke detectors

Bus Routes

LTD (Lane Transit District) is the bus system in Eugene. UO students and employees have access to a free bus pass, find more information at the UO’s Transportation Services website. You can find bus routes at The EmX is an express bus that runs every 10 minutes from campus to the downtown Eugene station. From there LTD will take you to most Lane County destinations.


Spencer View, Agate Apartments, and Moon Court

Any vehicle parked at Spencer View, Agate Apartments, or Moon Court must display the assigned resident parking permit provided by UO Transportation Services. Only one numbered permit per assigned space or unit will be issued and only for a resident vehicle.

Permits do not guarantee parking availability. Parking is managed by UO Transportation Services; contact that office for parking issues during business hours or the community assistant after hours. All other vehicles must be parked on the street where legal space is available as posted by City of Eugene. A maximum of two resident permitted motorcycles or one resident permitted vehicle is allowed in each assigned space.

Graduate Village

Parking at Graduate Village is managed by UO Transportation Services. For more information, visit

East Campus Houses and Apartments

Not all houses have off-street parking. To park on the street, you will need to contact the City of Eugene.

Parking in Apartments and Houses and for Move-In and Move-Out

  • Space for portable moving containers or to maneuver oversized trucks is not available for most housing types. 
  • Semi-trailer trucks cannot enter and exit any apartment parking spaces or access roads. 
  • An email request is required two weeks in advance for portable containers. A single container must fit within an assigned parking space with a three-day maximum for delivery and pickup. 

Large Vehicles 

Large or recreational vehicles such as motor homes, recreational vehicles, ATVs, trailers, boats, and buses are not allowed to be parked at any Family Housing and University Apartments site. All permitted vehicles must be in operable condition and have current registration. Vehicles that are improperly parked or that do not have the appropriate permit(s) may be ticketed and/or towed.

Cost of Attendance

Cost of attendance is the estimated cost to attend the UO for the academic year. The Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships provides estimates for cost of attendance information that goes beyond tuition and fees, and includes: living expenses (housing and food), books/supplies/equipment, transportation, and miscellaneous personal expenses.